Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Think about this...

Ponder this: The CEO of your organization just "friended" you on Facebook, do you accept? What are the repercussions...bad and good? Will they know if you decline (then what are you hiding?)?

For me this would not be a problem. If I used my Facebook page I would make sure there was nothing on my page that could jeopardize my job or my character. For someone that doesn't think a boss/supervisor would notice there page... think again. A lot of companies "Google" a future or current employee to make sure there isn't anything on the internet about them that could hurt their company. Many teens and adults need to be aware of this. At the time it might seem like a great idea but they don't think about the repercussions that can happen from it.

Companies are very aware of Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, and myspace. Again, because of this people need to be sure of what goes up on facebook or keep the profile private. Since Facebook is aware of this there are settings to keep certain people from seeing particular things if you choose to "accept" a friend. If you decline and someone makes a comment as to why you decline it could simple be that you want to keep your personal life separate from work.

Not only is the question brought up about CEOs, supervisors, co-workers etc... but teachers and professors. I feel like there is a thin line with this as well. With technology and online access becoming more and more "the thing to do" people need to be more aware. One might have delete a picture off of Facebook but Facebook still has the rights to the picture... (read the fine print!!!)

My only advice is to be careful who takes pictures of you and watch what you post!

No comments:

Post a Comment